Book Review: The Rainbow Book

Author: Kate Ohrt
Interest Level: Ages 4 and Up

A Note From the Publisher: Not only do rainbows reveal the path to an ever elusive pot of gold, but they also reveal colors of emotion. In The Rainbow Book, Kate Ohrt sheds light on the relationship between colors and the emotions they might inspire. 

Each page reveals an intricate paper-cut design in a single color, which is set off by an intense black background. Colors are paired with corresponding emotions, such as, "When I feel RED, I am fiery and bold." The Rainbow Book culminates with a bright, foldout rainbow that brings together all the colors and emotions in one beautiful display. 

The Rainbow Book is a great way for children to practice color identification, to discover the emotions associated with various colors of the rainbow, and is sure to bring a smile to the faces of all who come across its colorful cutouts and sincere moments. 
 
Why It's On My Bookshelf: Love love books on feelings! I used this book in a lunch group with 4-5th grade girls this year. They were having a lot of difficulties telling each other how they feel in a healthy manner. Lots of behind the back and under the table communication was happening. So at our second lunch group, I had this book sitting in the middle of the table. One of the girls picked up and said - "Oh wow, this is really cool." Each page has a snowflake like cut out so it's really eye catching and different.



The last page is a fold out of all the colors put together in a rainbow of feelings. It was the starter to our conversation. My goal was really to validate all of their emotions because I know as 4th and 5th grade girls they are also beginning to mature and trying to figure out how to manage all of these feelings. But sometimes those emotions can come out sideways and really hurt one another. We agreed the lunch group would be a safe place where we would resolve those hurts and communicate in a way that builds each other up.



This gave the girls an idea to make their own feelings cut outs. They got started immediately! I don't have a photo of the end result which was a rainbow bulletin board in my office. The girls even made a feelings chart next to the rainbow. THIS WAS ALL THEIR IDEA. Sorry I don't have a final photo, I'm going to blame it on the end of the school year being nuts. But here are some examples of their cut outs. They worked MANY lunches as a group to make the rainbow. I also noticed when we talked about all of the issues that can cause an emotional reaction - the girls were starting to have more empathy for each other.


                         Oops on the blurred image and my husband's slippers in the corner.
                                            This is what working from home looks like.

Don't be afraid to use feelings books. If you get creative with an art project it will make a big difference in teaching the skills kids need in the area of emotional intelligence. I have a feeling the girls will always remember this book.

A Link to This Book:

2 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this book! I have been looking for a book about feelings/empathy geared toward older elementary students. The pictures look beautiful and I cannot wait to use it in groups! I love that students came up with their own activity for this book! I just purchased it and cannot wait to receive it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle: I can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete